2016 №2 (51) Article 4
G.Sh. Sagatelyan, S.A. Dyadya, I.V. Filipchuk
Two cases. Russian provinces and the political power struggle before and after Stalin’s death. P. 36- 48.
The paper treats two political campaigns of 1953, namely the doctors’ plot and the Beriya case, which involved millions of Soviet people. The paper shows the organization and the peculiarities of these mass campaigns at the example of the Gorky Region. The Gorky Regional Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union together with the Municipal Committee of the Communist Party used the political campaign against the “murderers in white robes” in order to redirect people’s indignation and dissatisfaction
and to arouse resentment against Jews rather than against the government. The political campaign against Lavrentiy Beriya, who was accused of being a traitor and spy, was not treated unanimously. The reaction of Soviet people to the abrupt dropping of the Doctors’ plot affair, as well as to the dismissal, trial and execution of the Minister of Interior Beriya show that the USSR experienced inner contradictions and the deterioration of the communist ideology and moral values.
Beriya, enemies of the people, state anti-Semitism, mass meetings, Stalin’s last campaign, support of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union , murderers in white robes
1. Beylina, E.Eh. Reformy poslestalinskogo perioda v svete neudavsheysya perestroyki [Reforms of the post-Stalin period in the light of a failed restructuring] [Text] // Controversial issues of Russian history : Materials of the secondnd scientific and practical. Conf. / ed. by G.Sh. Sagatelyan. — Аrzamas, 1995. — P. 239–245.
2. Gordin, А.А. Politicheskie nastroeniya rabochikh i inzhenerov v gody “khruschevskoy ottepeli” (na materialakh Gor’kovskoy oblasti) [The political mood of the workers and engineers during the “Khruschev thaw” (in Gorky region materials) [Text] // Bulletin of Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia. Ser. “Russian history”. — 2008. — N 3. — P. 43–51.
3. Danilov, А.А. Nesostoyavshiysya reformator: sovremennyy vzglyad na Beriya [Failed reformer: the modern view to Beria] [Text] // Controversial issues of Russian history : Materials of the second scientific and practical. Conf. / ed. by G.Sh. Sagatelyan. — Аrzamas, 1995. — 221 p.
4. Delo Berii. Plenum TSK KPSS. 2–7 iyulya 1953 g. Stenograficheskiy otchet [Case of Beria. Plenum of the CPSU Central Committee 2–7 July 1953 transcript] [Text] // TSK KPSS issues. — 1991. — N 1. — P. 139–214 ; N 2. — P. 141–208.
5. Iz informatsii Gor’kovskogo gorkoma KPSS ob otklikakh trudyaschikhsya g. Gor’kogo na soobschenie prokuratury SSSR o predanii sudu Berii [From the Gorky Party Committee information on the responses of workers in Gorki on the message of the USSR Prosecutor’s Office for the prosecution of Beria] [Text] // Society and power. Russian province — Moscow ; N. Novgorod, 2007. — Vol. 4. — Part. 2. — P. 286–287.
6. Kostyrchenko, G.V. “Delo vrachey” [“Doctors’ case”] [Text] // Rodina. — Homeland. — 1994. — N 7. — P. 66–73.
7. Naumov, V.P. Byl li zagovor protiv Berii [Was there a plot against Beria] // Novaya I noveyshaya istoriya. — Modern and Contemporary History. — 1998. — N 5.— P. 17–39.
8. Opyt sotsial’nogo razvitiya Nizhegorodskoy oblasti v 40–80-e gody XX veka [Social Development Experience of Nizhny Novgorod region in the 40-80 years of the twentieth century] [Text] : monogr. / G.SH. Sagatelyan, А.N. Аparin, I.V. Filipchuk [i dr.] ; ed. by G.SH. Sagatelyan ; Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University named after R.E. Аlekseev. — N. Novgorod, 2013. — 387 p.
9. Pikhoya, R.G. Sovetskiy Soyuz: istoriya vlasti. 1945–1991 [The Soviet Union: the history of power. 1945–1991] [Text]. — Novosibirsk : Sibirskiy chronograph, 2000. — 684 p.
10. Podlye shpiony i ubiytsy pod maskoy professorov-vrachey [Mean spies and assassins under the guise of doctors-professors] [Text] // Pravda. — The Truth — 1953. — 13 Jan.
11. Pokonchit’ s rotozeystvom v nashikh ryadakh [To end gullibility in our midst] [Text] // Pravda. — True. — 1953. —18 Jan.
12. Politicheskie i ideologicheskie kampanii v poslevoennoy rossiyskoy provintsii (na materialakh Nizhegorodskoy oblasti) [The political and ideological campaigns in the post-war Russian province (on materials of Nizhny Novgorod region) [Text] : monogr. / G.SH. Sagatelyan ; ed. by G.SH. Sagatelyan ; Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University named after R.E. Аlekseev. — N. Novgorod, 2015. — 349 p.
13. Sagatelyan, G.SH. Zhizn’ kak zhizn’. Vospominaniya. O vremeni, o sebe [Life like life. Memories. About the time, about myself] [Text]. — 2nd Ed. — N. Novgorod : Kur’er-media, 2014. — 592 p.