Mitrofanov V. V.
New Facts about M. A. Alexandrova, the First Head of Ryazan Teachers’ Institute for Women ” P. 7-15.
Abstract. For many generations the Postnikovs served Russia truly and well. Men of the family fought in the battles of the Russo-Japanese War and World War II, while women of the family were prominent educators. M. A. Postnikova (known by her married name M. A. Alexandrova) is the first female head of the first teachers’ institute for women in Ryazan. Her sister Anna Alekseyevna Narkovich headed gymnasiums in the Smolensk Region and in the Ryazan Region. We know about her private life through her correspondence with such prominent scholars as S. F. Platonov and A. E. Presnyakov. Being a devoted student of the former and a close friend of the latter she was often mentioned in A. E. Presnyakov’s letters.
Having worked in St. Petersburg, and having traveled across the country to Khabarovsk and back, M. A. Alexandrova moved to Ryazan where she was appointed head of the teachers’ institute and where she worked for 10 years. She passed away in Ryazan in 1915 at the age of 50. Her last days are known to us due to the letters of her sister Anna Alekseyevna to Nadezhda Nikolayevna Platonova. The letters contain information about other relatives too, which provides more specific data.
Keywords: M. A. Alexandrova, A. A. Narkоvich, N. N. Platonova, Ryazan. Teachers’ institute for women, archival materials, correspondence.
- Aleksandr Evgen’evich Presnjakov. Pis’ma i dnevniki, 1889–1927 [Alexander Alexandrovich Presnyakov. Letters and Diaries. 1889–1927]. St. Petersburg, Science Publ., 2005, 867 p. (In Russian).
- Bronshtejn M. C. Desjat’ dnej kapitana Postnikova [Ten Days of Captain Postnikov]. Moscow, Impjeto Publ., 2007, 368 p. (Transl. from Esperanto).
- Gosudarstvennyj arhiv Rjazanskoj oblasti (GARO) [State Archive of the Ryazan Region (SARR)]. F. 621, D. 18. (In Russian).
- Grishina N. V. Female Learners, Female Students, Female Admirers. Women in the World of Male-dominated Science (in the Late 19th – Early 20th Centuries). Mir istorika: istoriograficheskij sbornik [A Historian’s World: Collected works on History]. Bychkov S. P., Sveshnikov A. V., Jakub A. V. (eds.). Omsk, Omsk State University Publ., 2008, iss. 4, 560 p. (In Russian).
- Mitrofanov V. V. M. A. Aleksandrova as Head of Teachers’ Institute in Ryazan (1915–1918). Vestnik Juzhno-Ural’skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Serija: Social’no-gumanitarnye nauki [Bulletin of Southern Urals State University. Social and Humanitarian Research series]. 2016, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 33–39. (In Russian).
- Mitrofanov V. V. Major Aspects of M. A. Aleksandrova’s Professional and Academic Activities in her Letters to S. F. Platonov. Sovremennaja zhenshhina [Modern Women]. 2017, no. 1, pp. 86–93. (In Russian).
- Mitrofanov V. V. “Solitary Work in Ryazan”: M. A. Aleksandrova’s Letters to S. F. Platonov. Magistra Vitae: jelektronnyj zhurnal po istoricheskim naukam i arheologii [Magistra Vitae: an E-journal of History and Archaeology]. 2018, no. 1, pp. 227–242. (In Russian).
- Mitrofanov V. V. “To Sergey Fedorovich from his devoted students”: M. A. Postnikova’s (Alexandrova’s) Letters from Khabarovsk. Vestnik Rjazanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta imeni S. A. Esenina [Bulletin of Ryazan State University named for S. Yesenin]. 2020, no. 3 (68), pp. 15–27. (In Russian).
- Moladikova A. A. Sostojanie i organizacija pedagogicheskogo obrazovanija v Rjazanskoj gubernii vo vtoroj polovine XIX — nachale XX veka [Pedagogical Education in the Ryazan Province in the Second Half of the 19th Century – Early 20th Century]. Ryazan, 2006, 22 p. (In Russian).
- Moscow, Execution Lists – Yauza Hospital. Spiski zhertv [Victim Lists]. Available at : https://analizfamilii.ru/familiya/Postnikov (accessed 30.10.2020). (In Russian).
- Otdel rukopisej Rossijskoj nacional’noj biblioteki (OR RNB) [Manuscript Department of the Russian National Library (MD RNL]. 585, Op. 1, Ch. 4, D. 5963, L. 1–7 ob., 8. (In Russian).
- Pamjatnaja knizhka Smolenskoj gubernii na 1915 god [Memory Book of the Smolensk Region. 1915]. Smolensk, P. A. Silin Publ., 1914, 559 p. (In Russian).
- Rjazanskij vestnik [Ryazan Bulletin]. 1915, Oct., 20, no. 240. (In Russian).
- Rjazanskaja zhizn’ [Life in Ryazan]. 1915, Oct., 31, no. 303. (In Russian).
- Titaev A. Fedor Postnikov v Rossii — Postnikov v Amerike (k 125-letiju so dnja rozhdenija A. Postnikova) [Feodor Postnikov in Russia, Postnikov in America (Commemorating the 125th Birthday Anniversary of F. A. Postnikov)]. Available at : https://historio.ru/postnikov.php (accessed 01.11.2020). (In Russian).
- Hisamutdinov A. A. Literary Clubs in St. Francisco. Dialog so vremenem [A Dialogue with Time]. 2017, no. 59, pp. 275–290. (In Russian).
- Postnikov F. A. Voennaja jenciklopedija [Military Encyclopedia]. Available at : https:// encyclopedia.mil.ru/encyclopedia… (accessed 01.11.2020). (In Russian).