2019 №1 (62) Article 6
А. A. Panchenko
THE KHRUSHCHEV THAW AND ITS EFFECT ON INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS OF UNIVERSITIES IN THE 1950s
The era of the Khrushchev Thaw is traditionally characterized by liberalization of domestic policies of the Soviet Union and a greater openness to the outer world compared to Stalinʼs reign. The initiation of international collaboration in the sphere of research enabled Soviet scholars and scientists to openly participate in academic activities and research. The article presents the results of a research aimed at the investigation of international communication of professors and students of Gorky Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages with their foreign colleagues during the period of the Khrushchev Thaw. The analysis of archival data and the Linguist newspaper issued by the Institute enables the author of the article to trace major trends in international communication and describe some crucial events and participants of international research. On one hand, these events secured further integration of Russian schools into international academic environment. On the other hand, they ensured a greater intensity of the Iron Curtain lifting.
higher linguistic education; Iron Curtain; international education; international communication; Khrushchev Thaw; Soviet Union
- Aghajanyan L. L. «Thaw» in the history of national culture: opportunistic and enduring. “Ottepelʼ ” v istorii otechestvennoj kulʼtury: kon”yunkturnoe i neprekhodyashchee [Bulletin of the Moscow state University of culture and arts]. 2015, vol. 4, pp. 85–89. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=24214755 (accessed 18.11.2018). (In Russian).
- Boroday A. D. The democratization of cultural life in the Soviet society under the influence of the «Khrushchev thaw». Demokratizaciya kulʼturnoj zhizni v sovetskom obshchestve pod vozdejstviem “hrushchevskoj ottepeli” [Bulletin of the State University of Management]. 2012, pp. 252–256. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18386536. (аccessed 18.11.2018). (In Russian).
- Gorʼkovskij institut inostrannyh yazykov: stranicy istorii (1937–1987) [Gorky Institute of foreign languages: pages of history (1937–1987)]. Nizhny Novgorod, Volgo-Vyatskyky Publ., 1987. 120 p. (In Russian).
- Mulyukov S. M. Khrushchevʼs “thaw” as an attempt by the powers-to paralizovat society in the framework of the traditional political system. Hrushchevskaya “ottepelʼ” kak popytka vlasti li-beralizovatʼ obshchestvo v ramkah tradicionnoj politicheskoj sistemy [Social apolitica and sociology]. 2009, vol. 1. pp. 255–259. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=11917639 (accessed 18.11.2018). (In Russian).
- Sizov S. G. Higher education and science in Omsk in the years of «The Thaw» (March 1953 — 1964) Zapadnaya Sibirʼ i sopredel’nye territorii: demograficheskie i social’no-istoricheskie processy (XVIII–XX vv.) [Western Siberia and adjacent territories: demographic and socio-historical processes (XVIII–XX centuries)]. 2009, pp. 150–164. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=24211644 (accessed 18.11.2018).
- Teluk K. R., Balakin V. S. “Thaw” in economic science of the USSR in 1950-ies: the political will or internal evolution? Politicheskij vektor-L. Kompleksnye problemy sovremennoj politiki [Political direction-L. the Complex problems of modern politics]. Chelyabinsk, 2015, vol. 1, pp. 61–68.