2019 №1 (62) Article 7
THE ROLE ARMORED WARFARE PLAYED IN THE BATTLE OF MOSCOW NEAR RYAZAN DURING WORLD WAR II
The article treats the relevant problem of investigating military campaigns which constituted World War II. It focuses on the use of armored fighting vehicles during military operations that took place near Ryazan. The analysis of archival sources shows that the defensive line near Ryazan was maintained by the 17th Tank Brigade, whose reconnaissance operations secured access to occupied territories. Musing on the role of armored warfare, the author speaks about the T-26 tank used in the military operation near Ryazan and describes its design and its usage during military conflicts. Analyzing the reminiscences of the participants of military operations, the author shows that the T-26 tanks were used as linear tanks. The research shows that the T-26 light tanks were equipped with radio sets which enabled the T-26 tanks to control other armored warfare. The article maintains that the armored units have played an important role in securing the defense line near Ryazan. It also highlights the importance of qualified management of the Western front, which enabled armored units to defeat the enemy and to contribute to victory in World War II.
light tank; separate tank battalion; reconnaissance operations; tank brigade; teletank
- Arhipov V. S. Vremja tankovyh atak [Time of tank attacks]. Moscow, Voenizdat Publ., 1981, 272 р. (In Russian).
- Buchnev Ju. V. Mihajlov 41-j. Hronika sobytij oseni-zimy 1941 g. [Mikhailov — the 41st. Chronicle of the events of the autumn — winter 1941]. Ryazan, 2011, 170 р. (In Russian).
- Golikov F. I. V Moskovskoj bitve (zapiski komandarma) [In the Moscow Battle (Notes of the Commander)]. Moscow, Science Publ., 1967, 200 р. (In Russian).
- Guderian G. Vospominanija nemeckogo generala. Tankovye vojska Germanii vo Vtoroj mirovoj vojne. 1939–1945 [Memories of the German General. German tank forces in World War II. 1939–1945]. Moscow, 2017, 572 р. (In Russian).
- Zhukov G. K. Vospominanija i razmyshlenija [Memories and Reflections]. Moscow, APN Publ., 1986, 981 р. (In Russian).
- Kolomiec M. T-26. Tjazhelaja sudʼba legkogo tanka [ T-26. The fate of the light tank]. Moscow, Jauza, Strategу KM, Еksmo Publ., 2007, 127 р. (In Russian).
- Mycikov M. I. Konec «Tajfuna» [End of Typhoon]. Kiev, Politizdat Ukraine Publ., 1985, 240 р. (In Russian).