2019 №1 (62) Article 2
THE LABYRINTH CAVES OF VALUYSKI USPENSKY NIKOLAEVSKY MONASTERY AND MIKHAILO–ATHOS ZAKUBANSKY HERMITAGE AS A REFLECTION OF SPIRITUAL TRADITIONS OF HESYCHASM
The article investigates the role and function of the labyrinth caves of Valuyski Uspensky Nikolaevsky Monastery in the Belgorod Region and Mikhailo–Athos Zakubansky Hermitage in the Republic of Adygea. The hypothesis of our research is that the labyrinth caves symbolically represent the ancient tradition of hesychasm brought to Russia by Athonian monks. To achieve our goal, we set ourselves the following objectives: 1) to investigate various research works associated with the caves; 2) to investigate the historical background against which the caves appeared; 3) to study symbolism associated with hesychast doctrine. The author uses the structural-semantic approach to elucidate the semantics of certain architectural elements of the caves. The author also employs the anthropological approach to analyze the motives and value imperatives of those responsible for the creation of the cave labyrinth and to draw parallels between the labyrinth of the caves and the labyrinth of the human sole trodden in search of spiritual growth. The author concludes that the caves reflect the spiritual tradition of hesychasm.
caves; hesychasm; Ladder of Divine Ascent; Russian Orthodox Church; Valuyski Uspensky Nikolaevsky Monastery; Svyato-Bogonosche-Ignatyevsky Tabor Monastery; Mikhailo-Athos Zakubansky Hermitage; Ekaterino-Lebyazhsky Monastery; Athos; Saint Paisius Velichkovsky
- Archimandrite Cleopas (Elijah). Kletʼ uma — serdce [Heart is a cage of mind]. Available at: http://www.pravoslavie.ru/50122.html (accessed 13.06.2018). (In Russian).
- Bitjugin K. E. On underground constructions in Belgorod region. Spelestologicheskiy ezhegodnik ROSI [Spelestological year-book of ROSI]. Moscow, ROSI Publ., 1999, 1, рр. 77–80. (In Russian).
- Gunko A. A., Kondratyeva S. K., Gunko A. P. Ignatius the God-bearers cave complex in Valuiki. Sbornik materialov VI mezhdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferentsii (K 170-letiyu Russkogo geograficheskogo obshchestva) “Speleologiya i spelestologiya” [Proceedings of the VI international scientific conference, to the 170th Anniverary of the Russian Geographical Society “Speleology and spelestology”]. Nabereznye Chelny, Naberezhnye Chelny State Pedagogical University Publ., 2015, pp. 135–145. (In Russian).
- Dolotov Ju. A., Agapov I. A. Spelestological review of Holy Mount of Athos. Peshchery [Сaves]. 2015, iss. 38, рр. 85–116. (In Russian).
- Lyakhnitsky Ju. S., Agapov I. A. A cave monastery in the North-Western Caucasus. Assotsiatsiya speleologov Urala [The Ural Association of speleologists]. 2014, 19, рр. 10–11. (In Russian).
- Nabivach I. In skete of Valuyki monastery. Voronezhskie eparkhialnye vedomosti. [Voronezh eparchial bulletin]. 1914, 34, рр. 911–916. (In Russian).
- Oleynikov T. M. Material on history of Valuyskiy Uspensky Nikolaev monastery. Voronezhskaya starina [Voronezhskaya starina]. Voronezh, Voronezh Church Historical and Archaeological Committee Publ., 1915–1916, 14, pp. 186–262. (In Russian).
- Papkov A. I. Valuyskiy Uspensky Nikolopristansky monastery. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov IV Mezhdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferentsii, 8 dekabrya 2006 g. “Yug Rossii v proshlom i nastoyashchem: istoriya, ekonomika, kulʼtura” [Collection of research papers of IV International Scientific Conference, 8th December 2006 “South Russia in the past and present: history, economics and culture”]. Belgorod, Belgorod State University Publ., 2006, vol. 1, pp. 16–20. (In Russian).
- Poleva Ju. V. Kulturno-semanticheskiy aspekt pochitaniya peshcher v Nizhnem Povolzhe i Podone [Cultural and semantic aspect of caves honoring in Lower Volga and Don regions]. Volgograd, Volgograd State Physical Education Academy Publ., 2009, 139 р. (In Russian).
- Poleva Yu. V. The role of the underground cells in the cave asceticism on the territory of the Lower Volga and Don rivers regions. Materialy mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii, 16–20 noyabrya 2010 g. “Speleologiya i spelestologiya: razvitie i vzaimodeystvie nauk” [Proceedings of the international scientific and practical conference, 16–20 November 2010 “Speleology and spelestology: development and interaction of sciences”]. Nabereznye Chelny, Naberezhnye Chelny State Pedagogical University Publ., 2010, pp. 158–161. (In Russian).
- Pravoslavnye monastyri Rossiyskoy imperii. Polnyy spisok vsekh 1105 nyne sushchestvuyushchikh v 75 guberniyakh i oblastyakh Rossii (i 2 inostrannykh gosudarstvakh) muzhskikh i zhenskikh monastyrey, arkhiereyskikh domov i zhenskikh obshchin (Sost. L. I. Denisov) [Orthodox monasteries of the Russian Empire. Full list of all 1105 existing in 75 guberniyas and regions of Russia (and 2 foreign states) menʼs and womenʼs monasteries, pontifical houses and covents (composed by L.I. Denisov)]. Moscow, Stupin A. D. Publ., 1908, 984 р. (In Russian).
- Razdolsky S. A. Monastyri Kavkazskoy eparkhii i ikh rol v kulturnom razvitii Severnogo Kavkaza. [Monasteries of Caucasian Diocese and their role in cultural development of North Caucasus]. Rostov-on-Don, North Caucasian Centre of Science of the Higher School Publ., 2006, 166 р. (In Russian).
- Stepkin V. V. Athos and Podonye in the late XIX — early XX century: contacts within the context of Shatrishchegorsky cave monastery restoration. Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Svyato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta. Seriya II: Istoriya. Istoriya Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi [St Tikhons University Review. Series II. History. History of the Russian Orthodox Church]. 2017, iss. 75, pp. 39–54. (In Russian).
- Stepkin V. V. Interrelation of peasant community, church and the state with reference to creation and functioning of Kostomarovsky cave complex in Podonye (middle of XIX — XX centuries). Nauchnye vedomosti Belgorodskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Istoriya. Politologiya [Belgorod State University Scientific Bulletin. History. Politology]. 2017, iss. 43, no. 15 (264), pp. 128–137. (In Russian).
- Stepkin V. V. Via Dolorosa in the caves of Malye Divy area on the Middle Don. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Tomsk State University Journals]. 2018, no. 426, pp. 167–179. (In Russian). DOI: 10.17223/15617793/426/21. (In Russian).
- Chenikalova E. V. Athos monasteries phenomenon in Caucasian region and the structure of their brethren as in the case of the Holy Mikhailo-Athonite coenoby. Khristianskaya Abkhaziya [Christian Abkhazia]. 2013, no. 2 (70), рр. 20–23. (In Russian).